Stole a post I found on myspace that I wrote August 31, 2009

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted an update. And really, I havent posted the full story of everything that happened with Ryan, but because that would take too long and I dont want to take that time right now, I’m going to post an update for now. lol And instead of reading tonight – this is what I’m doing.

Britney’s in her 2nd month of 2nd grade. She LOVES it! Her teacher has been with the school for about 5 years now, and it’s an absolute pleasure to have her as Britney’s teacher.

Our first meeting with the teacher and her intern was great. She had nothing but great things to say about Britney. She couldnt believe that Britney was behind at all in 1st grade when we first got here … so that’s an awesome sign that Brit’s been doing nothing but great so far! 🙂

I’ve tried to continue the teaching here at home with her, but she cant stand learning from “mommy”. If it was someone else, she’d be all for it, but because it’s me! HA! But I plan on putting some fun things together for her that we havent done yet. And I hope she enjoys them. It seems everything we do after school for “fun” work, she likes doing and showing to her friends when they play school together. So hopefully this is just another thing on that list.

As for Ryan – We’ve been to hell and back with him and the doctors. He was in the NICU for 6 1/2 weeks, then came home on oxygen and the apnea monitor…He was totally off of those when he was 4 months old.

We’ve had LOTS of specialty appointments. We’ve the high risk doctor downtown at the children’s hospital twice now and will have another appointment in December. He has made sure everything has been on track for the therapists.

At Ryans 6 month appointment, the doctor mentioned Ryan’s head might be growing faster then the rest of his body. So we had a CT scan. Everything came back normal. He just has a big head. My head. My dads…Thats my Ryan! 🙂 lol

We started therapy when he was about 6 months old. That includes physical, occupational, speech and developmental. At that time, he was barely able to pick up his head and hold it still on his own. I’m sure you’ve seen it before – the wobbly head. Anyways – the therapists come to the house so we’re not running all around town. That’s awesome! It’s enough we’re running around for the appointments with the specialists and such.

The PT and OT appointments have been going tremediously well! I love who they have choosen for us. They have helped Ryan, and myself so much. I’ve seen LOTS of progress since they’ve started working with him. And although alot of that could be with him growing, I take all of it as help from the therapists…and these two specifically!

The speech therapist they paired us with was not a good fit for us. So after the 2nd visit, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt for that 2nd visit, we’ll have a new one next month.

As for the developmental therapist, she’s the one that makes sure everything is coming along ok with all of the other therapists. She fills out the paper work for each therapy visit – how often they come, who comes, she fills out the calendars for the monthly visits, etc etc.

In the last month, I’ve made an appointment for Ryan because we’ve thought that he has become a little acid reflux’y. The doc wanted to go ahead with an xray. So after fasting for 4 hours before hand (which I dont recommend for a baby who is used to eating every 3-4 hours) he had to drink this dye type of liquid…and as the stuff was going down, it lit the screen up! He’s digesting it immediately and passing through within 5-10 seconds which is great! So that wasnt the issue.

At the appointment, the doctor had mentioned if I was feeding him still on a timely basis or if I was waiting for him to tell me he was hungry and ready for his bottle. Of course I answered with the first answer…and since we’ve changed his feeding schedule, things have been going awesome.

We have an opthomologist appointment tomorrow morning to see if everything is ok with his eyes. The OT has mentioned that she thinks he might have issues, so I asked the doc for a referral. We’ll have some answers tomorrow…hopefully!

We see the neurologist on Wednesday. So hopefully we’ll get some answers at that appointment as well!

Then we just got the approval from the insurance company to drive to Albuqueque, New Mexico which, yes, it will take us 4 hours to get to that appointmnet but it’s for a geneticist. There are multiple things that the doctors, therapists, and T and I have noticed with Ryan that have all just added up and might not be anything, but it all could be something too. Originally the appointment was supposed to be here in EL Paso in possibly Oct, but definitely November. However we can NOT wait that long. So I did the research and the work for it, and our appointment is Sept 22. We’ll hopefully have the answers that we’re looking for by the time the original appointment here in El Paso would have been! OH and for the answers, we do NOT have to drive back to Albuqueque. They have a site in Las Cruces that we’ll drive to for those. And that’s only about 45 min! Much better then 4 hours.

So thats the update. Long winded and hopefully it all makes sense. 🙂 Hopefully I’ll be more for updates from now on and blog when I need to because it felt good to get it out! lol

Off to bed for the night…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: